Walking is the most basic movement of all. Best of all, it's a low impact exercise.
When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my 5th month of pregnancy, I was advised by my endocrinologist and dietician to walk everyday. That's what I tried to do! I couldn't walk everyday, but I tried to walk even in shopping malls, grocery store aisles, and inside Target. Early mornings, my mom and I would push Maddy around in the her stroller and we would go around Veteran's Park, Caroldale Elementary and pass by Stephen White Junior High. Even the 15 to 20 minutes of brisk walking did a wonderful 25 to 30 point drop to my glucose level. Walking isn't so much of a weight loss exercise, but it did help me avoid weight gain while I was pregnant with Nick. Walking also helped me to avoid becoming stuck with diabetes permanently.
I've been reminding myself to walk a brisker pace at work and to park the car further away from the school entrance to force myself to walk a little more. There's nothing wrong with walking.
No comments:
Post a Comment